Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"The Importance of Creativity" by Sir Ken Robinson on http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html website was a great video clip.  He discusses how schools have gotten away from creativity.  He even states, "Schools kill creativity."  This is another sad but true video.  He brings to light that schools today do not encourage originality in activities.  I agree with him on this.  I wish I would have been encouraged to be more creative and original in my school work when I was still in school.  Creativity and originality are important skills to carry out into the real world.  He also states, "Mistakes are not appropriate in schools today." This is so true, even though mistakes are a great way to learn and be creative.  He really concentrates on how schools discourage students from being original and creative in their thinking.

Sir Ken Robinson also discusses in this video how all around the world the arts are at the bottom of the pole in education.  The arts come behind mathematics, language arts, sciences, and history.  All of these subjects are very important in the schools, but liberal arts also need to be an important area.  Liberal arts provide students to be active, creative, and original rather than just concentrate on academics all day every day.  Liberal arts also do provide jobs in the real world, which is another reason they should have more focus on them in the schools.

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey,
    I really enjoyed Sir Ken Robinson's video and even posted it on my website! I had never really thought about the little emphasis schools place on Arts education; however, he makes very valid points regarding the issue. I don't feel as though I am a very creative person, but maybe it is partly because I was never allowed to be creative in school. I would love to allow my students more opportunities when it comes to the idea of liberal arts. I also loved the quote about mistakes not even being allowed in schools. Students really are made to feel that they must be perfect. I hope to change these things in my own classroom and I can see that they are important to you as well!

    ReplyDelete